Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
ABriner

Reply with quote  #1 
I am new to the Professor Carol website, and I am having a bit of difficulty in grasping the different types of memberships. I have gathered that there is a free Associate Membership, which appears to only show some of the beginning units of the courses offered. And, that there is a Course Membership, as well as a Circle of Scholars Membership.

How do the Course Membership and Circle of Scholars Membership compare in regard to materials? Is there some area on the website that tangibly can show me what is included with each membership as far as course materials - maybe a comparison chart or spreadsheet - that I have been unable to find?

Also, is it necessary or recommended for students to purchase the textbooks associated with their respective courses - Discovering Music/Early Sacred Music? Will there be a textbook for America's Artistic Legacy?

I am looking at the courses for my children who will both be in 9th grade next fall. I would like for them to earn credits by taking the courses during their high school years. Are there any additional materials I should be considering to fulfill this goal?

Also, what is the benefit to purchasing the Course Membership versus buying a complete course package?

Thank you for clarifying this for me.
Professor Carol

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
Thank you for these questions.  Our materials and memberships have developed over the years in response to people's needs and requests, so let me see if I can clarify them.

There are 5 on-line courses:
Discovering Music
America's Artistic Heritage
Imperial Russia
Early Sacred Music
Writing/Research Units

In these courses, the video lectures are streaming, the fill-ins, text study materials, quizzes, tests, are all on-line. All of the content is online, and you do not need to purchase any additional materials. Sometimes people choose (for convenience) to add select hard-copy material to use with the on-line courses, such as a physical text book or a CD set, but the hard-copy materials do not add anything not already available on-line.

Should people wish to study on-line, they can choose the comprehensive Circle of Scholars membership ($15/month or $139/year for unlimited access all courses, used for as many family members as one wishes), or select an individual course ($9/month/course, again possible to use with as many family members as one wishes).  

The Associate Membership (free) is designed solely to help people acquaint themselves with the courses available on-line. Associate members have access to a limited portion of all courses so that they can preview them and determine whether the courses will be of interest.

For those who wish to work with hard-copy materials (DVDs, CDs, Text, CD-Rom), the following courses are available in these formats:

Discovering Music
Exploring America's Musical Heritage
Early Sacred Music

Again, the hard-copy materials are virtually identical to the on-line materials, so it's simply a question of which delivery method you prefer.

I hope this answers most of your questions. Let me know what might not be clear or post additional questions.

ABriner

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you for taking  the time to answer my questions. This greatly helps me to know which membership is best for my family.

We look forward to becoming members and learning about the history of music. In the fall, we'll be starting with America's Artistic Heritage. It will correspond with our American history studies. I am excited to see how fine arts and history developed during that time period!

Thanks, again!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.