Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Professor Carol

Administrator
Reply with quote  #1 

This 4-hour DVD program is not online and is not a part of the Circle of Scholars.  We created it as a joint project with the American Family Association in 2011.  It was also intended as a video program, although we do provide a study guide on the website for each unit.  You’ll find those materials on the course page. 

http://www.professorcarol.com/exploring-americas-musical-heritage/  

AFA filmed the narrative for this course in a marvelous one-room schoolhouse in rural Mississippi.  That was a day I won’t forget.  My first time with a teleprompter and a very tight schedule.

But most of the course was shot on location from Boston to the Spanish Missions in the desert southwest, from the Louisiana delta to West Point.  We went just about everywhere, it seems, although we could spend years collecting more good stuff.  Personally, I would never get tired of just sitting on Bob Falls’ porch in the North Carolina mountains discussing American poetry, or singing shape-note hymns in Fort Worth.

Some of this material was incorporated in America’s Artistic Legacy, although much was added to that later course.  So if you’re looking for a survey, try Exploring America’s Musical Heritage.  If you want to fill an academic year, you should look into America’s Artistic Legacy.

Malcom

Reply with quote  #2 
I was very interested in the music of Ken Burns Civil War program. Those tunes really got your attention and lots of people bought the soundtrack.
Professor Carol

Administrator
Reply with quote  #3 

Agreed.  That series did so much to spark people's interest in many aspects of the Civil War.  And without question, the music played a huge role.  Are you familiar with the resources available digitally (and in person, of course) at the Library of Congress?  www.loc.gov  There is an extensive collection of American sheet music from the 19th century, for example.  This is digitalized, and there are audio resources too.  

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.