Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Professor Carol

Administrator
Reply with quote  #1 

This course examines numerous aspects of American History.  The Arts provide a particularly useful way to understand that history and to see how the American ideal was shaped and changed over time.

From the Pilgrims to Elvis, there are so many avenues to explore.  This course has 24 units, so many students prefer to spread it over two semesters.  Plan to look at America’s history from colonization to post World War Two times while diving into the songs, art, literature, theater, and architecture that explain it all.

http://www.professorcarol.com/americas-artistic-legacy/

If you want a shorter introduction to the themes of this course, you might consider our DVD program Exploring America’s Musical Heritage.  Younger students will find that program more accessible.  America’s Artistic Legacy takes those same themes, and more, and dives into greater detail.

JaneE

Reply with quote  #2 
This course was the reason I joined the Circle of Scholars two years ago.  I wanted something that integrated history and the arts, and showed how everything is interconnected.  It was a bit of a gamble because I did not know anything about Carol's work.  But the course far surpassed my expectations.  My then-16-year-old daughter and then-12-year-old son loved it!  The course made history come alive, and I am so glad that Carol decided to do it.  So often we see or hear things that would have been meaningless before taking this course, but now we have a connection to it because we learned something about it in America's Artistic Legacy.  My daughter graduated in May, and she says that the Professor Carol classes were her favorite courses in high school.  So I highly recommend giving this course a try!
Alicianz

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you so much for this review JaneE.
I have been trying to figure out and explain to my husband how we would do American history for high school.  We live overseas so the cultural aspects are really essential to us. WE want to feel that our kids are still connected to their extended family, and to us! 

Are their written assignments/projects/notebooking that they do or keep? Thinking of combining with textbook as its really difficult to get living books on US history here. Well you can if you can manage exchange rate and shipping costs. We have the Task Cards from Creek Edge Press and may do those alongside? Off to take a closer look at this program.

Regards,
Alicia in New Zealand
JaneE

Reply with quote  #4 

Yes, students watch video instruction for about an hour, then there are assignments for each unit.  At the end of every 2 units, there is a quiz.  I spread the assignments out over a week or a little more, depending on how long the assignments were.  The later units are longer, and there is a quiz after each unit near the end of the course.  Carol is a great teacher, but the assignments really made the course in my opinion.  The assignments are a variety of watching videos, reading articles, listening to interviews or pieces of music, and answering questions.  The assignments focus very much on the history of the time.  We have studied history in homeschooling, but my kids did not retain much.  They got much more with the history intertwined with the various arts of each era.  I was surprised by how many types of art Carol covered, including architecture and literature.  I got my kids to write down many of the assignments, but others we discussed.  I was doing the class at the same time as my kids because I found it fascinating as well, and had never learned much about the arts in my own education.  I think kids still need a history course for more detail than Carol gives, but this course helped my kids learn to like history and see the connections history has to real life.

Please ask if you have any more questions!

SallyS

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneE

Yes, students watch video instruction for about an hour, then there are assignments for each unit.  At the end of every 2 units, there is a quiz.  I spread the assignments out over a week or a little more, depending on how long the assignments were.  The later units are longer, and there is a quiz after each unit near the end of the course.  Carol is a great teacher, but the assignments really made the course in my opinion.  The assignments are a variety of watching videos, reading articles, listening to interviews or pieces of music, and answering questions.  The assignments focus very much on the history of the time.  We have studied history in homeschooling, but my kids did not retain much.  They got much more with the history intertwined with the various arts of each era.  I was surprised by how many types of art Carol covered, including architecture and literature.  I got my kids to write down many of the assignments, but others we discussed.  I was doing the class at the same time as my kids because I found it fascinating as well, and had never learned much about the arts in my own education.  I think kids still need a history course for more detail than Carol gives, but this course helped my kids learn to like history and see the connections history has to real life.

Please ask if you have any more questions!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.